Marcus Aurelius Vs ...

Notifications
Clear all

Marcus Aurelius Vs Jesus Christ

EverlyneBrown
(@everlynebrown)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

From whom between Marcus and Jesus have you learnt or derived the most wisdom? Which of the two is a true stoic?

Orcus
(@orcus)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @everlynebrown

From whom between Marcus and Jesus have you learnt or derived the most wisdom? Which of the two is a true stoic?

Well, i would say both had their own realm. Jesus Christ was mostly a spiritual and superhuman with strange powers and all. But he was also wise, and this could be seen from his parables and stuff like that. Marcus Aurelius was a "down on earth" kind of person. With no supernatural powers but ebbing of wisdom from every response to questions shot at him.

I would say the two cannot be compared on the same platform. Each had considerable wisdom equivalent to his powers and time. 

ReplyQuote
PabloHykes
(@pablohykes)
Eminent Member

That is basically night and day. Each played a huge role in his own way to contribute to the philosophical knowledge that we live by today. I however prefer the wisdom from Aurelius, because it is what mere mortals can easily relate to. It is practical and based on reason, other than some magic or miracular manifestation. 

ReplyQuote
Cygnus_Seneca
(@cygnus_seneca)
Eminent Member

I would go with Jesus Christ. Maybe it is because of my christian background or upbringing. But i just find the wisdom from Jesus to be on another level. No human being has ever matched this.

ReplyQuote
BenPulsar
(@benpulsar)
Eminent Member

How do you even compare the two. I am not sure, but i guess they're cut from totally different cloth. Each with a different set of abilities. Well, the wise words from the both of them will ring a bell to any philospher, but still they come from different spheres with a big difference in their approach and view of life as we know it. 

ReplyQuote
Forum - The Stoic Forum
(@martyn)
Eminent Member

I’m not religious but I do try to be spiritual. I believe both to be extremely wise and in fact I believe they say very similar things a lot of the time. Jesus was more metaphorical but you have to remember we didn’t learn from him with writings from his own hand. Marcus wrote without once mentioning his rule of the Empire which signifies he was very humble. Jesus was as well of course. Both point to the immense power within us.

ReplyQuote
Richard Hawkins
(@richardhawkins)
Noble Member

I completely agree with the replies so far. The two are incomparable since they have different "approaches" to things, and both are stoic nonetheless.

ReplyQuote
Jacob Stephens
(@jacobstoic)
Noble Member

You're right @richardhawkins, Jesus Christ and Marcus Aurelius are incomparable. These two gave us a lot of principles that we can use to have more wisdom in life.

ReplyQuote
Margaux Dizon
(@margaux)
Noble Member

I agree with @orcus. They are incomparable and each of them has its own wisdom.

ReplyQuote
Share: