What is your opinio...

Notifications
Clear all

What is your opinion on Euthanasia?

Jacob Stephens
(@jacobstoic)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

The following scenario has been a question in my head for a while, and honestly, I don't know what I would choose. Imagine if you were diagnosed with a terminal disease. As followers of Stoicism, would you accept the option of an artificial painless death, or would you go out the natural way? And what justification would you have for your choice?

Margaux Dizon
(@margaux)
Noble Member

Here's my stance, an artificial death is a suicide. It can be seen as cowardly, not strong, or brave enough to face your fate and the life ahead of you. That being said, it's not really black and white like that. If you're exhausted and you have been suffering unbearably for some time due to an illness, it's very different than let's say being crippled. If you were crippled, that may be unbearable suffering to you but it's a suffering of your own causing. In that case, the unbearable suffering is the outlook, not so much the fate itself. 

ReplyQuote
gardnermcgee
(@gardnermcgee)
Noble Member

From a certain point of view we all get a terminal "disease" the day we are born, just one that takes a couple of decades to run its course. So perhaps a better question is what sort and amount of suffering do we see as appropriate to avoid in the end.

ReplyQuote
Richard Hawkins
(@richardhawkins)
Noble Member

For myself, I chose to have a no resuscitate order standing and if I were terminally ill I would choose to not enrichen the medical society and bankrupt my loved ones.

Now, I am not talking about ending my life via lethal injection or anything like that, I just do not plan to accept treatment and/or be on life support to extend an already well-lived life.

This of course assuming that I have such a choice; I am ready when death calls and work to mind my actions so should I be taken slowly or suddenly, 'none can implement me in that which is degrading'.

ReplyQuote
frankrichardson1979
(@frankrichardson1979)
Noble Member

I will choose artificial painless death. Idk if its stoic or not but I don’t want to die painfully if possible. Plus, if I can’t have a sound mind, let me just die quicker. Someone said about letting others to have the resources and not burdening our family which are great points to support euthanasia. Anyway it all depends.

ReplyQuote
lainedunc
(@lainedunc)
Noble Member

Hmmm.. There is no right or wrong answer. Ultimately you'd be in control of the only thing you had control of for your whole life: yourself.

ReplyQuote
Share: