How do I deal with ...

Notifications
Clear all

How do I deal with cringe attacks?

Margaux Dizon
(@margaux)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've been dealing with a lot of cringe attacks recently. Basically, me remembering things I've done or said when I was younger and I just feel so anxious and embarrassed about them. I catch myself wishing I could go back just to change things.

How do I just accept things have happened and move on?

gardnermcgee
(@gardnermcgee)
Noble Member

@margaux

If you can’t dismiss the cringe on your own, purposely invite it in and do your best to analyze the event.

I once got really drunk with coworkers and threw up in their apartments lobby, when ever I think of it I remember the lessons learned from that day. I refrain from blaming others and focus on what I did.

I should have set a limit, I shouldn’t have broken away from the group, I shouldn’t drink myself to a state of social comfort etc etc. when you’ve learned your fill the cringe fades.

ReplyQuote
frankrichardson1979
(@frankrichardson1979)
Noble Member

Three only Moment is Present. You cannot change what happened, but you can reprocess them and recreate the narrative around the events. For example, in order to process a lot of childhood trauma, I turned my memoir into a time traveler story set at the end of time. It helps me allow myself to reframe the setting and it is quite cathartic.

ReplyQuote
Richard Hawkins
(@richardhawkins)
Noble Member

Personally, I feel the way sometimes. I think it is because we have matured, which is a good thing. You cringe with your past actions because you have grown. I believe that spiritually, it is an achievement.

Regarding how to deal with it, you just have to think that you have changed and will never go back to your past self.

ReplyQuote
Jacob Stephens
(@jacobstoic)
Noble Member

It feels like you’re getting these attacks because you’re placing yourself back in that childhood seat over and over again. Of course there would be an anxiety attack because you feel like you’re reliving the moment again and again without being able to change the outcome.

Might I suggest you follow Master Oogway’s wise words: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift (that is why it is called the present)

What’s done is done, it’s likely that nobody remembers it except for you, and even if others do just remind yourself that you can’t control everything

ReplyQuote
lainedunc
(@lainedunc)
Noble Member

A memory is being accessed. Try recording yourself when you’re thinking of these memories then watch the video. You will see how you appear when this is happening so you can get a visual impression in your mind. Anytime these memories creep up, remember how you looked in the video and you’ll know nothing was physically harming you, your mind just wandered from the present moment.

ReplyQuote
Share: