How can something t...

Notifications
Clear all

How can something truly belong to you if it can be taken away from you?

Richard Hawkins
(@richardhawkins)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

”Never say of anything, "I have lost it;" but, " I have returned it." Has your child died? It is returned. Has your wife died? She is returned. Has your estate been taken away? That likewise is returned. " But it was a bad man who took it." What is it to you by whose hands he who gave it has demanded it again? While he permits you to possess it, hold it as something not your own; as do travelers at an inn.” - Epictetus, Enchiridion chapter 11.

Epictetus's view of things isn't far from the truth. we don't own anything except reasoning faculty because if we do own our children, our spouses, our estates, then we wouldn't be able to lose them

thus the idea that we borrow fits reality better as there is always a moment of returning what isn't ours

clinging to borrowed goods is a recipe for pain. so according to Epictetus, it is not a problem to have things and enjoy them as long as we are able to let go of them at any time.

gardnermcgee
(@gardnermcgee)
Noble Member

Agreed. The person clings. Nature does not cling. Like a cat won’t cling.

“Man is the only creature that refuses to be what he is”

ReplyQuote
Margaux Dizon
(@margaux)
Noble Member

we dont own anything except reasoning faculty

This is also borrowed, as is our very existence. We are blessed to not experience the loss of our minds and lives after the fact that many of us experience the loss of this with a great deal of fear, anxiety, stress, depression, and pain.

Great quote, thank you for the reminder. Attachment is a dreadful habit.

ReplyQuote
Jacob Stephens
(@jacobstoic)
Noble Member

This is a philosophical concept I always found to be interesting. I think if this point is correct, then either the word "ownership" is completely redundant and shouldn't exist as a word, or we as a society should re-evaluate our understanding of it. It could be argued that we do own things, but the concept of "owning" is generally misunderstood and that the ability to lose something is just part of ownership. Owning could be temporary. For example, if something is in my possession, I own it until it's no longer in my possession. I guess it all comes down to semantics.

Great post by the way! 

ReplyQuote
frankrichardson1979
(@frankrichardson1979)
Noble Member

And beyond that so we even own our own reasoning facilities? Our mind can be our enemy at times. We can lose our thoughts and move to a dark place given enough lost rest, chemical abuse, poor nutrition or a set of poor circumstances beyond our control. Not a thing belongs to us. Just experience the ride

ReplyQuote
lainedunc
(@lainedunc)
Noble Member

I like the idea of thinking about everything as "borrowed". It makes the loss easier to cope with. I like reading everyone's viewpoints here. Have a nice day, whoever reads this!

ReplyQuote
Share: