Gandalf is a stoic.

Notifications
Clear all

Gandalf is a stoic.

gardnermcgee
(@gardnermcgee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Frodo: ‘I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.’

Gandalf: ‘So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.’

If this isn’t some quality stoic knowledge from our old friend I don’t know what is.

Topic Tags
Richard Hawkins
(@richardhawkins)
Noble Member

Anyone who survived the somme would be a changed man one way or another. I don't know if he was a Stoic but he'd know more from that experience than a million normal men and would be a very wise man to listen to.

ReplyQuote
frankrichardson1979
(@frankrichardson1979)
Noble Member

I think age and intelligence naturally create stoics. That and wizardry. That creates stoics, too.

ReplyQuote
Jacob Stephens
(@jacobstoic)
Noble Member

Makes sense since he was extremely devout and his religion emphasized on stoic values.

ReplyQuote
lainedunc
(@lainedunc)
Noble Member

Hmm, I know who Gandalf is, but I haven't watch LOTR to confirm! This movie will be on my bucket list now. But the quote is actually quite good <3

ReplyQuote
Margaux Dizon
(@margaux)
Noble Member

I often recall this quote in my mind when I'm thinking about stoicism, given that Tolkien was very much versed in antiquity I wouldn't be surprised if stoicism was one of his inspirations. 

ReplyQuote
Share: