What practices of s...

Notifications
Clear all

What practices of stoicism should I do to stay humble and grounded when facing success and failures?

lainedunc
(@lainedunc)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking for advice..not just philosophical but practices that one can incorporate to staying humble and staying grounded in light of success, failure, or monotony. Thanks!

Chistopher
(@chistopher)
Estimable Member

Hope this helps. Try saying this to yourself every time,

“If I fail, it's okay.”

and

“If I succeed, it's okay.”

Practice telling or saying it out loud to yourself, now. Your mind and thoughts most likely will initially reject it…That will point the way of how to get better at disconnecting your internal evaluation of yourself vs external evaluations of yourself. That disconnection is the ultimate key right there.

Be kind to yourself (counterintuitively, that will lead you to have more success, even in the face if failure). Though this is not easy for perfectionists to apply in their life.

ReplyQuote
Richard Hawkins
(@richardhawkins)
Noble Member

Get to the base of why praise really is and how temporary it truly is. Those same people can praise what you’ve done and ridicule your next action without thinking twice about it. What matters is you doing your best. As long as you do that then you’re good to go.

ReplyQuote
Margaux Dizon
(@margaux)
Noble Member

Try to connect with the people around you in a meaningful way. I had a bunch of eye-opening moments where I talked to people who at that point I saw as beneath me. I felt their emotions and it was so raw and real for me that it snapped me out of my prideful reverie. Talk to people from all walks of life and get to know them. Stay open-minded. I hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
frankrichardson1979
(@frankrichardson1979)
Noble Member

So when I was weak being humble wasn't too big a deal but as I progressed in life it got to the point where as I was becoming strong I forgot what it was like to be weak and I lost sight of what was important. Then I had a bunch of eye opening moments where I connected to people who at that point I saw as beneath me. I felt their emotions and it was so raw and real for me that it snapped me out of my prideful bullshit. After that I started trying to be strong not just for myself but for the people around me. I didn't want to become like the stereotypical hardass men that I grew up around. So in short I guess I'd say try to connect with the people around you in a meaningful way, try to teach maybe not by giving advice but by being the good that you want to see in the world. Talk to people from all walks of life, get to know them. Stay open minded and stay good. I hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
Jacob Stephens
(@jacobstoic)
Noble Member

Sharing success through subtle and consistent interactions allows for true connection. Failure is part of most success; we all have stories to share. The monotonous sandbox is a good space to develop mindfulness in the present moment.

ReplyQuote
gardnermcgee
(@gardnermcgee)
Noble Member

Don’t let success go to your head, and don’t let failure go to your heart.

ReplyQuote
Share: