Those of you with d...

Notifications
Clear all

Those of you with depression, which principles have been most helpful for you?

Jacob Stephens
(@jacobstoic)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Even though I’ve been to therapy and am taking meds, I’m having one of those nights where I’m feeling like my depression may never truly go away. Trying to figure out how others have applied stoicism to similar experiences. What are your thoughts?

Richard Hawkins
(@richardhawkins)
Noble Member

I try my best to replace sadness with happiness in order to overcome depression. Easier said than done, but I find it very helpful. For example, I get depressed with something career-related, before the depression can consume me, I would do something that can make me happy like ordering food, buying something that I want, or planning a get-together with my peers.

there will be times when you would overthink, but because of the happy thoughts, it wouldn't be that depressing.

ReplyQuote
frankrichardson1979
(@frankrichardson1979)
Noble Member

I think I would say that I am not my thoughts, I can change them by developing healthy mental habits. Mental discipline, reflection, etc may take time but it adds up.

ReplyQuote
gardnermcgee
(@gardnermcgee)
Noble Member

Remember that you are not your ego and you are not your thoughts. Your ego uses your voice and your name to tell you all manner of bullshit to keep you in pain and enslaved to it.

I recommend listening to the "Annihilation of Joy" episode of The Midnight Gospel. It blew my face off.

ReplyQuote
Margaux Dizon
(@margaux)
Noble Member

Being reflective and stoic guidelines like the dichotomy of control and the idea that things are only bad when we value them like that is quite helpful to me. I journal a lot and also just getting stuff down and out of my head is sometimes helping a lot as well.

One thing I do not like about Epictetus Enchiridion is that it says at the beginning that one has control over the drive and motivation one has (at least in my german translation). And that is just a bad joke on depression.

I feel like Stoicism has a very good toolset to work on oneself when one is not currently suffering the depths of depression which then can prevent falling again. I am not too deep in Stoicism, yet but that is my experience with both of the topics.

ReplyQuote
lainedunc
(@lainedunc)
Noble Member

That person will do what they want regardless of how much they know it hurts you. So you may as well not worry about it and just make a promise to walk away if it really does happen. IMO.

ReplyQuote
Share: