Notifications
Clear all

The Power of Youth.

Forum - The Stoic Forum
(@susan06)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I remember that my grandfather wished me when I was 14, may your youthful joy be with you forever. I asked him why and he said the joy, energy and curiously of a child is something that parishes as we grow old. But it's ever most useful especially when you are old so you can live long, help people, and to be remembered by others in their prayers. Then he quoted Seneca. 

Hang on to your youthful enthusiasms — you’ll be able to use them better when you’re older.―Seneca

Jacob Stephens
(@jacobstoic)
Noble Member

Thank you @Susan06, I also like this quote from Seneca. Don’t let yourself become a victim of “grumpy aging”. Keep up with what is virtuous and what interests you, and never lose sight of them. This way, when you age not only you will have wisdom (which comes out of age and experience), but you will have preserved enthusiasm (for knowledge, virtuosity, etc)

ReplyQuote
Richard Hawkins
(@richardhawkins)
Noble Member

Thank you for sharing @susan06 . It's awesome that your grandfather was a stoic person when you were younger. He must've influenced you a lot. I completely agree with him.

ReplyQuote
frankrichardson1979
(@frankrichardson1979)
Noble Member

@Susan06 As people age somehow they grow more cynical and I dont blame them cause some people do bad things and distrust is really an issue as we grow older. Its really hard to put on a smile with strangers these days you never know what they can do but keeping that positive youthful vibe in once self can probably affect people around and can do good things to inner peace. Maybe those simple 'Hi' 'Hello' and 'Thank you' can brighten the mood of those people around and even yourself. Your Grandfather is probably right. Keeping up that youthful enthusiasm could really help you through the day.

ReplyQuote
gardnermcgee
(@gardnermcgee)
Noble Member

@frankrichardson This is true, as we grow older, we tend to lose our inner child enthusiasm and curiosity. However being aware that we should cling on to this, we can be more in control of our happiness and life.

ReplyQuote
Margaux Dizon
(@margaux)
Noble Member

@susan06 your grandfather is right. When we get old, we tend to mature and adapt to our environment. We lose our youth literally, emotionally, and mentally. But if we maintain this youthfulness in ourselves, we will become more optimistic and grateful for all the things that we have. 

ReplyQuote
lainedunc
(@lainedunc)
Noble Member

@susan06 This is so touching :') Thank you! I grew up with my grandparents, the wisdom they give us is almost infinite <3 I miss them so much. Thank you for this.

ReplyQuote
Share: