I often wake up wit...

Notifications
Clear all

I often wake up with a sense of fear and anxiety. I used to dread this feeling, now I embrace it.

Margaux Dizon
(@margaux)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I realized recently that this fear and anxiety stems from the change I’m encountering and the brain’s adaptation to that change, and also to the uncertainties that inevitably lay ahead. Rather than believing that these feelings are negative by product of something “wrong” in my life, I’ve realized that this is part of the human condition: change, uncertainty, concern.

I’ve learned to embrace these feelings, and that has brought me a tremendous sense of comfort and positive input, ironically.

gardnermcgee
(@gardnermcgee)
Noble Member

I like to live my life as though before I came to earth, I agreed to everything that would happen to me as a way to learn lessons and to help others learn theirs. This means that despite all of the uncertainty, it’s all happening for my greatest good. Life happens for me, not to me. It helps me be more accepting and grateful for every experience l have knowing that I’ve already said yes to it.

This kind of goes hand in hand with Stoicism, but I just break it down a little more. It doesn’t matter if it’s true or not (what can we actually know is true outside of death?) it helps me with the acceptance of my reality.

ReplyQuote
Jacob Stephens
(@jacobstoic)
Noble Member

I've had a similar realization as a part of my practice. I think we define fear and anxiety (even pain) as negative impressions because they appear together with experiences we consider negative. In time the line blurs, and we start attaching the "bad" judgment to the impression itself, and we try to avoid it. But the impression is actually just a signal - a piece of information that our mind processed something in a specific way, and nothing more. Attaching a value judgment to it is like shooting the messenger.

ReplyQuote
Richard Hawkins
(@richardhawkins)
Noble Member

I hate the feeling of waking up for the same reasons you mentioned plus one: My brain is too tired to see the logic you mentioned, so I can’t think my way out of the miserable sensations. I just have to wait it out.

Thank you for sharing!

ReplyQuote
frankrichardson1979
(@frankrichardson1979)
Noble Member

I know this is kind of a lame response but I also can be really anxious and fearful right upon waking up and for me I noticed a correlation with how hydrated I am. If I drink alcohol for example, I’ll wake up dehydrated and the anxiety is magnified a lot. Now I know whenever I feel that way when I wake up, I need to immediately drink water I have next to my bed and it goes right away and I can get back to sleep if I want. Of course if I wait until I’m fully awake and alert it would also go away, but that takes much longer. Anyways, might not work for everyone, but something that might help at least.

ReplyQuote
lainedunc
(@lainedunc)
Noble Member

I really needed this today. Thank you for sharing. 🙂 @margaux

ReplyQuote
Share: