Dopamine fasting is...

Notifications
Clear all

Dopamine fasting is something great

gardnermcgee
(@gardnermcgee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

All the earthly desires present in modern society, fast food, videogames, social media, sex, masturbation, socialization, constant need for stimulation that elevates dopamine levels, I spend most of my time without these things and teached me something.

Life is not boring, we find it boring due to overstimulation, theres dopamine everywhere, in fact boring is good, reading a book, meditate or simply standing without doing nothing.

Life is a crazy race for dopamine

Now I understand why I found life boring even with money, social circle, girls

Now I understand why happiness is in small simple things

Topic Tags
Jacob Stephens
(@jacobstoic)
Noble Member

This is an interesting point. We all seem to be addicted to distractions, and the sheer volume not only depletes our reserves, but increases a kind of tolerance.

Constant stimulation isn’t good. Like our phones, we need to recharge. Too much and it overheats potentially causing damage.

They say simplicity is the key to brilliance, and I believe that applies to your overall life.

ReplyQuote
Richard Hawkins
(@richardhawkins)
Noble Member

Yes, I'm in the same boat, it's difficult to get out of the habit for sure. Just need a daily reminder to snap out of the vices. The modern world has so many things to take your attention to, it's a daily struggle for sure. Also, the pandemic just amplified the situation. I would have never thought doing nothing could be such a struggle. It may seem like an endless battle, which it is, but I only tame my cravings by treating it as an addiction and illness, not sure if it is the correct way to do it but it works for a bit, and then it comes back vengeance then I binge. But my belief is that most of it are stress-related, the more I work/study, I feel entitled to my vices, which are stress relievers. My best advice is to pause for a moment, before taking that action before being consumed by your vices. So, take 1 min pause at least and see if you still have the desire to proceed. If you still continue, next time wait 2 min and so on so forth. Change of a habitual vice is a struggle my friend, maybe baby steps can help us.

ReplyQuote
Margaux Dizon
(@margaux)
Noble Member

I agree partially with you as I still think that the things that you named are natural and good as long as you don't misuse them. Also, I always say to myself that if at first thought it seems boring, then it's probably good like Epictetus said in his conversations that many things seem boring and are hard to learn but once you master them you see clearly their benefits and their beauty.

ReplyQuote
lainedunc
(@lainedunc)
Noble Member

This is an interesting point. We all seem to be addicted to distractions, and the sheer volume not only depletes our reserves but increases a kind of tolerance. Constant stimulation isn’t good. Like our phones, we need to recharge. Too much and it overheats potentially causing damage. They say simplicity is the key to brilliance, and I believe that applies to your overall life.

ReplyQuote
frankrichardson1979
(@frankrichardson1979)
Noble Member

I hate to be “that guy” but I recommend calling it taking a break from electronics or taking a break from goal oriented achievements. There is no such thing as dopamine fasting as you would die if your body did not create dopamine.

The dopamine system in our body’s (dopamine is created and absorbed all throughout our body’s not just in the brain) has evolved for millions of year and has tons of evolutionary reasons for working the way it does.

Just because we are dumb apes stuck in a time frame where people are glued to there phones and TV shouldn’t mean we stop caring about the science behind what truly makes us human.

With that said I am glad to hear things are going well for you.

ReplyQuote
Share: