Notifications
Clear all

Hello Everyone!

Page 1 / 2

Forum - The Stoic Forum
(@atrox)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm new to this forum,  and I enter this forum searching for some answers,  my question is this ? 

Been stoic is something you work for it , may work through life,  or there is some people that  by nature are stoics? 

lainedunc liked
gardnermcgee
(@gardnermcgee)
Noble Member

It will depend on their upbringing @curamax, if he/she is surrounded by Stoic minded people then by nature he/she will be a stoic.

ReplyQuote
frankrichardson1979
(@frankrichardson1979)
Noble Member

@curamax That is a good question. I think some people are born stoic and some just choose to be stoic. Yes you can work for it just by reading and practicing it in real life. I too read alot and watch just to widen my view on stocism. 

ReplyQuote
Richard Hawkins
(@richardhawkins)
Noble Member

I think it depends on every individual. For me, it is subjective. I myself, am a stoic because I work for it. I was not a good person before because of my environment during childhood and I am trying my best to improve on that. I believe others are stoic by nature if they were raised in that way and principles.

But whatever the answer is, as long as we apply stoicism in life right at this moment, that's what matters the most.

ReplyQuote
Jacob Stephens
(@jacobstoic)
Noble Member

Hello @curamax, welcome to the community. I totally agree with @frankrichardson1979, we can work to become Stoic by reading and practicing Stoic principles.

ReplyQuote
heatherfitzgerald
(@heather-fitzgerald)
Eminent Member

@curamax Welcome to the community. It’s a philosophy designed to make us more resilient, happier, more virtuous and more wise–and as a result, better people, better parents and better professionals. 

ReplyQuote
lainedunc
(@lainedunc)
Noble Member

Posted by: @curamax

I'm new to this forum,  and I enter this forum searching for some answers,  my question is this ? 

Been stoic is something you work for it , may work through life,  or there is some people that  by nature are stoics? 

@curamax, for me, it's everything you've included in your question. Being a stoic is not easy, as it takes time to practice it, however, there are people who are not even aware that what they're doing is actually "stoicism"; hence, being naturally stoic, which can also be suggested along the way by someone who might notice it. There are also people who practice stoicism due to past experiences, both aware and not. I hope I'm making sense.

But yea, I don't think you can not label yourself as a stoic and can, that probably is not the point. As long as we value everything with honor & virtue, protect ourselves from anything that can be our downfall, then how we became stoic shouldn't matter but why (if not naturally).

ReplyQuote
Forum - The Stoic Forum
(@atrox)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your comments. I didn´t known what was stoicism about until my son gave a book as a present ( "a guide to the good life. william b. irvine"), so far its the only reading I have , and also some search in the internet. 

in the words my son  wrotte to me in that book  , he thank's me and say that I'm stoic by nature ! ,  so here I am trying to figure what stoicism is all about and if thats the case,  figuring out how to improve , so I discovered that in some things I'm totally stoic without any effort since I can remember (or at least  I think I am)  , but in other things i'm not stoic at all.  is that right ? could happen like that ?  or do I have to learn more about stoicism . 

thanks

finally , any suggestions  for me to read, watch, or exerecise to do ? 

lainedunc liked
ReplyQuote
Jacob Stephens
(@jacobstoic)
Noble Member

Hi @curamax, the first book that caught my interest in Stoicism is "The Discourses of Epictetus by Epictetus". I suggest you read that one, it's a very good book. 🙂

ReplyQuote
frankrichardson1979
(@frankrichardson1979)
Noble Member

@Curamax A little Walk in the morning and proper breathing to focus and clear your mind through the day. Jogging also helps as it release those endorphines in our brain to help us through a bad day. 

ReplyQuote
lainedunc
(@lainedunc)
Noble Member

@curamax It takes time to practice, and to answer your question, I think it's very possible to be stoic in some way and not on others, but the thing is, you're already aware of the word "stoicism", if being stoic improves your way of life then it's only natural to research and learn more new things about stoicism. But that depends on you, you already have the information and you're already curious, I personally don't think you have anything to lose as practicing stoicism has been helpful for me 🙂 

ReplyQuote
heatherfitzgerald
(@heather-fitzgerald)
Eminent Member

@curamax Try reading A Daily Stoic by Ryan Holiday. It is a beautiful daily journal to lead your journey in the art of living.

ReplyQuote
Richard Hawkins
(@richardhawkins)
Noble Member

@curamax yes it could happen like that. There is room to grow everyday, no matter how old we are. As long as we aim for the better, that is what matters.

ReplyQuote
gardnermcgee
(@gardnermcgee)
Noble Member

@curamax Try to listen to this before you sleep or while doing something else. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bguEiUgDA4 its very powerful

This post was modified 5 months ago by gardnermcgee

ReplyQuote
Chistopher
(@chistopher)
Estimable Member

Welcome Curamax. To answer your question. It does depend, some people are naturally stoic. Some of us like me, studies it. Practices it to understand more. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: